Monday, October 24, 2011

Tales from the week 10/16-10/23

It started with Luke wandering around the living room in circles saying "I'm sick." It was afternoon on Saturday and since Luke often tells me he is sick and it was naptime, I paid no attention - until he barfed about 3 inches from me on the couch. What followed was some kind of hellish nightmare of vomit and diarrhea over the next 6 days. That day Luke threw up 4 more times. Devin started his puking episodes on Monday and until Thursday threw up anywhere from 3-6 times a day. Every time I tried to put the children to bed, they would throw up and the sheets would have to be replaced. Nap time was almost renamed puke time.  

I thought my low point was at about 4:30 on Wednesday morning. Devin woke up screaming, but vomit-free! I tried over the next hour to comfort him and nothing worked until I gave him milk cup and laid him down in his room. About ten minutes later the screaming began again. I opened the door to find Devin covered from head to toe with puke, put him in the bathtub, and sat on the floor of his bedroom and cried. For a long time. It seemed to be overwhelming - between dealing with Justin's schedule and thus lack of help, the mountains of laundry, the smell, feeling sick myself and dealing with other things I can't mention.. I got myself together and took Devin downstairs to sleep on the couch with me.

And woke up to Lukas telling me he had puked. I was puzzled because Lukas looked and smelled totally clean. I marched upstairs figuring I had some cleanup to do in the bedrooms and that the sooner the stink was gone the better. Imagine my horror when I opened the bathroom door to find that Luke had been struck with diarrhea, but had been unable to make it completely to the toilet in time. And it was all over. Happily, because I had already gathered my thoughts and gotten in the right place mentally at 5 or so that morning, I didn't cry. I even laughed a little. I'm chuckling now as I write this. Thankfully Thursday was the last day of vomitting for the kids even though I felt nauseous myself. Justin ended up throwing up at work that night, but toughed it out and stayed. I never threw up yay! I actually learned something through this week of hell: pedialyte stains on carpet suck. Oh, and that I'm tough as nails even if I do need to take a break and cry a little. 

Saturday and Sunday were amazing days. Everyone was feeling good, we were together, and the sun seemed to shine brighter. The kids were so happy that Justin was home and climbed all over him. Lukas obstinantly dressed himself, but doesn't do such a great job matching. Below is one of his creations.. dino pj pants and a collared shirt on backwards. We didn't get a pic of my favorite outfit: Yellow Steelers windbreaker on top and size 7 year-old ninja turtles swim trunks over fleece pants. Yea, he rocked that all the way to the gas station.

Yes, he is grabbing his stuff.

More sad news is that my pumpkins look like this after only a week and a half carved :(. It is supposed to be colder in October! Alas, DC is warm and my pumpkins rotted. I doubt I will get more carved before Halloween.

On Sunday I picked up fabric for the boys' Halloween costumes. Stay tuned to see if I was successful in turning $60 worth of fabric and sewing accessories into awesome Ninja Turtles costumes........

3 comments:

Jules said...

:( I hope this week is better!

Jesse said...

I don't think I could've handled that much vomit and diarrhea, I fear the day that something like that hits my house.

Sarah said...

It's coming for you Jesse!!!!