Sunday, October 2, 2011

Tales from the Week.. 9/25-10/2

I got back from my trip to NY last Saturday and we have been getting into the swing of things. Justin has been picking some activities for us to do together and his latest and greatest idea was a 1000 piece puzzle. Yea. It's still not done and we've been working on it for four days. It is oddly addicting, but I don't think we'll be making the choice to do one of these again :)
Pondering where the puzzle piece should go



Looking cute while doing a puzzle takes skill - skill that I've got.

Devin trying to put on the dog collar. He is obsessed with buckles.

More puzzle fun.



He's here to save the day, Fireman Luke!
As for the boys, Luke was happy to get back to school. His latest thing has been to rocket around the house pretending he is rescuing people like Fireman Sam. He has to use the ladder to help him climb up the stairs in our house too. It can get kind of aggravating!!! Especially when he runs into the bone in my ankle - you know the one I am talking about. OW. Luke is starting to talk back alot more now too. While he was throwing one of Justin's lacross balls around the house, I said to him "Stop Luke! Are you ready for a time out!? Because I'm ready to give you one." He looked at me, smiled and said "Well I'm ready to do it again." I almost bust up laughing, but he did take a time-out.
Devin has been a little ill the last few days, but he's taking it like a champ. He is obsessed with buckles and having his shoes on. Dev has started to try to express his ideas in sentences and he immitates random things that Luke or I do throughout the day and it's really charming. Melt my heart, I love him to pieces. OH! Except when he climbs out of his crib, opens his door and walks down the stairs at nap and bed time. That has been a new occurence this week and we are working on the transition to an actual bed now.. and locking the door.


I have tried now THREE times to get to the farmer's market. My first was the Sunday after I got home. The metro was going through unscheduled maintanence, so we decided to turn around and drive. At that time of day there was no parking to be had and we just went back home. Big waste of two hours. The second time I went alone, spent a good hour waiting on connections and finally finally got to the place and.......... no farmer's market! I went on Saturday and it is a Sunday only market.. Very sad, I hopped the metro home. The one good thing about this wasted trip was the entertainment on the way home. Six black men (all around 21 or so) hopped onto the metro and started swearing, talking about their gay friend and using language that was really offensive. The nice white lady sitting next to me buried her face in her Ikea catalog while we all tried to pretend that we couldn't hear these idiots. Finally an older black woman stepped up and lectured all these guys about how they are the future and on and on - they of course didn't listen to a word she said, but bravo lady for saying something. I kept my mouth shut because I didn't have the boys with me to protect or anything and I was enjoying the show. Thank you DC for making me smile.
Third times the charm, I finally made it to the farmer's market with my lovely husband finding a spot and parking for me :) However, the warm, fuzzy, I'm-finally-here-oh-my-gosh feelings wouldn't last long.. My jaw dropped as soon as I saw the prices. HOLY HIGHWAY ROBBERY. To give you an example of just how insane the prices were, kale (which is normally $.99 for a bunch at a grocery store) was priced at around $4.00 a bunch. IT WASN'T EVEN ORGANIC. Sorry people, but I will take my veggies with a side of pesticide from the grocery store in order to keep paying my bills. I did pick up some peaches, beets, and apples. The beets were an ok price, but everything else at that farmer's market was mega overpriced. It was like a black hole for money.


Dev enjoyed the peaches from the market. I did too!!



My farmer's market haul






Wow, this puzzle is finally coming together!


Today I spent a good 2 hours cooking up food for the week which included "dirty cauliflower rice," the beets from the farmer's market, 2 chickens and turkish slider meatball things. Hopefully this will cut down on work for the week :)


Justin starts drill team training this week and from what I've heard he'll be working nights, 12-hour shifts, and will be very sore from the gun hitting his hands and arms. I've been told that your hands and the rest of your body just aches. I wonder how many times Justin will ask me where the motrin is. :) More on that to come!

4 comments:

BB said...

Everyone needs a healthy dose of pesticide in their veggies!! :)

Jesse said...

I'm glad you've started updating your blog again! I need to follow suit and catch up on the last few months that I've neglected. I love the stories about the boys, it makes me want to see them even more.

Gina said...

Loved your story Sarah. Did you frame your puzzle?

Paleo Cents said...

Haha it's still not done!! :)