Sunday, November 4, 2012

A Fierce Bad Rabbit

 About two months ago during a trip to NY, Luke received his birthday present from his Aunt & Uncle. It was a beautiful gold collection of Beatrix Potter stories. When I cracked it open, I wasn't sure that Luke would like it because of the old language and lengthy stories. HE LOVES IT. He has made me read it probably seven times over now and it is thick. My favorite story is the very last title "A Fierce Bad Rabbit." Basically a super mean bunny comes and steals a carrot from a gentle bunny and scratches it meanly in the process. While hiding, the gentle bunny gets to see the fierce bad rabbit running by after a hunter shoots off the its tail and whiskers.

Saturday morning was Devin's first dental appointment. I asked if he would cheese for me. At first he said no, but then he shot me this look:

He did GREAT! Not only did he let the dentist scrape all of his teeth, he sat through having all of his teeth polished. The dentist was really shocked and so was I. Maybe my wiggle worm is settling down :)
He lately has been taking joy in helping me do things like cook or clean the toy room and then proudly announcing that he helped. He's giving kisses freely and often pretends to be a kitten.

I took this picture for proof!!
Saturday I made two new good recipes. One from my brain that I created and call Bacon Chowder and the other from Primal Palate called Infamous Bacon Cookies. The bacon cookies were pretty good. Not mind-blowing and I think the batter was better than the actual cookies. I also think that candying the bacon with maple syrup was a bit too sweet. 


Bacon Chowder
1 head cauliflower
Half stick of butter
Tsp or so of salt to taste
Tsp or so of garlic powder
3 green onions chopped
3 or so pieces of bacon cooked and chopped

Put everything in a pot and cook until the cauliflower is mushy. You can either mush it with a fork or do what I did and use an immersion blender at the end.

Add one can of coconut milk. Taste and see if it needs more butter/salt. Do not cook down the liquid or it'll be more of a puree. For one batch I had to add another can of coconut milk, because I did that. Anyway, I think it's super good and I've made it twice now. I will probably double the recipe later because it only goes for one meal with two small kids and two big people.