Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halloween & Welcome Home Justin

Lukas making cards.
 Tuesday evening Justin was slated to come home, but he called around 6pm to tell us that his flight had been cancelled. It was too bad because the call came right in the middle of the kids making welcome home cards for him. I expected a lot more crying when I informed them that dad wouldn't be home in the morning, but Lukas just shrugged it off and Devin didn't flinch. We were fortunate to survive the storm without any power outages and after I put the kids to bed, I was planning on spending a relaxing evening watching Revenge on Netflix, but the internet was sadly out :*(


The next day was Halloween and I honestly wasn't planning on doing anything. We went to Whole Foods to grab some sauerkraut - which Luke has been eating up. I explained to him that fermented foods like sauerkraut have good bugs in them that fight off bad bugs in our tummies that make us sick. Since I said that he's been scarfing the stuff. I plan on trying my own fermented carrots and maybe beets soon.

Anyway, I decided that just because Justin wasn't home for Halloween, we weren't going to skip it again this year (he was in drill team training last year and at work). The kids put on their firemen costumes and we ran to march in the parade that evening. We went to the youth center's Halloween immediately following the parade and that was P-A-C-K-E-D with children.

We came home to eat dinner (grab a glass of wine) and then ran out to trick-or-treat. The second house over from ours had this terrifying setup:

Not pictured was a terrifying nurse. The oldest son of the family was dressed up as a creepy nurse with messed up bloody makeup. He didn't say anything, just smiled creepily and waved the children into the tent for candy!! Devin wouldn't go in, telling me that I needed to get the nurse out first. Luke went in like a champ and grabbed that candy! We spent the rest of the night running from house to house with our friend Carrie and her daughter Kk. 



My fire-fighters.

It was so much fun watching the kids have fun :) They actually knew what to do this year and didn't need to be pushed or carried. Plus, I had some great company. The neighborhood was really well done up this year and it's one of the great things about living on base. Tons of people get into the spirit of the holidays and you feel like part of a big community.

There was one other house that Devin was terrified of and that was what he called "The Growling House." He walked almost up to the candy, but stood staring at this with his lip poked out and shook his head. Devin told me that this thing was going to swoop down and growl at him.

We got home and watched a Halloween video while I picked up, then had some surprise visitors. After a long night I finally put the kids to bed, but was a bit too tired to watch a scary movie like I'd planned. I'll have to have my Halloween celebration a little later :)

Best Halloween in a long time and the kids were totally great about setting the candy aside to eat in moderation. I managed to stay out of it until tonight! Justin arrived while we were sleeping and we spent today getting back into our routine.

No comments: